Sunday, November 09, 2014

Recipe For Surviving A Workday (Double Size)

Yes, my coworker at my new job looks so much like a Pixie that I called her one, and it caught on.  My phone manner is a little too sweet for her taste. I told her, that's okay, pixies are actually much deadlier than they have a reputation for.
 
The truth is, though, that it's a positive feedback loop.  If I'm kind to whoever I'm talking to on the phone, they will usually be kind to me in return.  Even the mean ones don't often have the heart to be nasty to someone who is being gentle and pleasant as possible with them.  It's all about remembering the person on the other end of the phone is a person with feelings and that they may be having a bad day, so my moment with them must be a kind one -- it may be the only kind moment they get that day.  None of us knows what another person is going through unless we're going through it with them.
 
This reasoning is useful not just in a job environment, but everywhere.  You never know what another person is going through, so it costs you nothing to be kind.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment