Monday, December 03, 2012

Cold Cash for Christmas?






I was driving home one night before Thanksgiving and I heard a pop version of "Do You Hear What I Hear?".

It got me to thinking.

I remember thinking as a child how cool it was that "the star, the star, shining in the night" had "a tail as big as a kite."

I remember thinking as a child how awesome it was that the little lamb could talk to the shepherd boy, and that the shepherd boy actually understood him.  It played into that other story about The Night The Animals Talked.

And I remember being awed at the courage of the shepherd boy to walk in on a mighty king, question him, and make a strong suggestion of what to give the newborn babe.

But as an adult, that chorus stops me in my tracks.  I mean, I get that it's supposed to be The Greatest Story and all that, but with my current perspective, it makes me kind of sad.  There was no room at the inn, and Mary, Joseph, and the new baby were, literally, shivering in the cold.

So hearing that line made me go "wait a minute!"  The king's palace is warm, and yet they should bring the child silver and gold, rather than bring him into said warm palace?

The prioritizing makes me shake my head...and wonder if that's why some people's prorities are as they are in this day and age.

I'm depressive and a Virgo. I overanalyze things. These are the sorts of things that occur to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment